Couldn't write state file: '(error-text)'
From Unofficial BOINC Wiki
Message Type: Warning Message
- Improper termination of the BOINC Daemon.
- Improper shutdown of the computer.
- Use of anti-spyware or anti-virus applications.
- Temporary contention by separate threads running within the BOINC Daemon.
- There are two copies of the BOINC Daemon running at the same time.
- Disk corruption (Run chkdsk to fix your disk)
One of the most likely causes is the use of anti-virus/anti-spyware tools. Turn off the "Real Time Protection" mode (the name may vary depending on the product) and restart the BOINC Client Software.
 Version Information
- Couldn't write state file: '(error-code)'
- Obsolete in Version 4.72
 Example Log(s)
 Couldn't Write State File: System Rename
(1) 2005-09-10 07:49:01 [ ] Couldn't write state file: system rename (2) 2005-09-10 07:50:01 [SETI@home] Result 03my04aa.13035.19025.367328.186_4 exited with zero status but no 'finished' file (3) 2005-09-10 07:50:01 [SETI@home] If this happens repeatedly you may need to reset the project.
- Couldn't write state file: '(error-text)'
- The system was attempting to finish the update to the State File and failed to create the back-up copy.
- Result '(result)' exited with zero status but no 'finished' file
- One of the currently running Science Applications also halted at this time.
- It is not at all clear to me if this is part of the cause of the problem, or another consequence of the "real" problem.
- If this happens repeatedly you may need to reset the project.
- The companion message to the message in line #2.
 Couldn't Write State File: '(error-code)'
2005-07-24 17:16:23 [ ] Couldn't write state file: -109 2005-07-24 17:17:24 [http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/] Sending scheduler request to http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah_cgi/cgi 2005-07-24 17:17:24 [http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/] Requesting 8640 seconds of work, returning 0 results 2005-07-24 17:17:25 [http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/] Scheduler request to http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah_cgi/cgi succeeded 2005-07-24 17:17:25 [SETI@home ] General preferences have been updated 2005-07-24 17:17:25 [ ] General prefs: from SETI@home (last modified 2005-07-24 16:16:21) 2005-07-24 17:17:25 [ ] General prefs: using your defaults [ ] BOINC failed to log in to http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/. [ ] Please check your account key and try again. 2005-07-24 17:17:27 [SETI@home ] Resetting project 2005-07-24 17:17:27 [ ] request_reschedule_cpus: exit_tasks 2005-07-24 17:17:33 [SETI@home ] Detaching from project
- This is showing a lock contention for write access to the State File. The BOINC Daemon tried to update the State File but was unable to access the file.
- In this log we are also showing a request to the Project's Scheduler.
- And we are asking for work, but have no Results to "Report".
- And in this case we had success!
- Because we were successful in contacting the Project's Scheduling Server we get an update to the General Preferences.
- And the "default settings are going to be used instead of a set from one of the Venues.
- Please check your account key and try again.
- Because of the error writing to the "State File", we could not connect to the Project.
- Because we could not connect to the BOINC Powered Project we will "Detach" from the Project, which, as a first step requires the Project to be "Reset".
- Completing the process we "Detach" from the BOINC Powered Project.