Creating an Account For A BOINC Powered Project - BOINC Client Software Version 4.x
From Unofficial BOINC Wiki
The is a deprecated procedure. The newest Versions of the BOINC Client Software have a "wizzard" that allows you to create an initial Account with a BOINC Powered Project or use an existing Account when attaching without requiring you to use a separate Web Browser to create the initial Account.
In order to complete the procedure outlined in this guide, you must meet the following preconditions:
- You must have an operational computer.
- You must administation rights on the computer.
- You must have Internet Access from this computer.
- You must be able to operate the computer and access the Internet.
 Create An Account
 Reading the "Rules and Policies" for the BOINC Powered Project
From the list below, select a Project and click on the link in the second column to get the "official" Rules and Policies for the Project for which you wish to be a Participant. If you need help with the page, there is documentation available for the page, click on the "Page Doc." icon in the first column.
|Climateprediction.net (CPDN)||Rules and Policies||"Rules and Policies" Page|
|Einstein@Home||Rules and Policies|
|LHC@Home||Rules and Policies|
|Predictor@Home||Rules and Policies|
|Rosetta@Home||Rules and Policies|
|SETI@Home||Rules and Policies|
|SIMAP@Home||Rules and Policies|
|SZTAKI Desktop Grid||Rules and Policies|
|World Community Grid||See the link "Software License Agreement" on this page.|
 Creating an Account
Next you need to open up an Account for a BOINC Powered Project by by filling in a form supplying a a valid e-Mail address that can be used to send to you your Account Key for that particular BOINC Powered Project.
 Wait for the e-Mail from the Project
While we are waiting we should tell you that we have lots of things that can help you along the way.
On the main page of the Project Web Site is as complete section devoted to helping you in every way possible. You should also note that we have lots of links that you can follow into some of the resources. Feel free to wander about.
If we still have more time to kill, how about a quick introduction to the goals and operation of the BOINC Client Software with "Getting Started" ... and this is the last time I am going to offer this!
 Print and Save the e-Mail
Ok, now you have your Account Key? Cool! Print out the e-Mail that contains that Account Key and put it in a safe place. You do want to protect that Account Key, but we are going to use it right now. Select the Account Key in the e-Mail and then copy it to the clipboard (also see "Detailed Instructions on Selecting the Account Key").
- The reason we stress saving the copy of the Account Key is that if it is lost, most BOINC Powered Projects are not able to help you recover the Account if you lose the Account Key and no longer have access to the e-Mail account used to join the BOINC Powered Project. I save all of mine in a separate text file.
 Configure Your Account
Now, we will open the appropriate form and paste the Account Key into the field; then click "Ok" to submit the "Configure Your Account" Form. This process used be known as Account Activation. Select the correct BOINC Powered Project form:
 Procedure Complete
You have completed the procedure.
 BOINC "How-To" Guides Related To Installation
- Don't panic! I have pictures and everything!
- Installing the BOINC Client Software And Participating In A BOINC Powered Project (Master Guide)
- Choosing a BOINC Powered Project
- Joining a BOINC Powered Project
- Installing The BOINC Client Software (Version 6) on Microsoft Windows (all versions).
- Installing The BOINC Client Software on Apple Macintosh OS-X (only; do not attempt to install or run the BOINC Client Software on OS-9)
- Installing The BOINC Client Software on Linux (x86 versions only)
- Installing The BOINC Client Software on SPARC/Solaris
- BOINC and SETI@Home Quick Install Guide for HPUX
- Attaching The BOINC Client Software To A BOINC Powered Project
- Updating or Repairing the BOINC Client Software:
- Detaching The BOINC Client Software From A BOINC Powered Project
- Uninstalling the BOINC Client Software:
- Miscellaneous Installation Related Tasks
- Deprecated Procedures
- Installing the BOINC Client Software And Participating In A BOINC Powered Project: Version 4
- Creating an Account For A BOINC Powered Project - BOINC Client Software Version 4.x