Couldn't delete file '(file-name)'
From Unofficial BOINC Wiki
Message Type: Warning Message
This Message tells the Participant that the BOINC Client Software could not delete the file named in the message. This can occur for a number of reasons, the most likely one being that the file is already missing. Other causes could be a change in the file permissions or some other file system error.
 Version Information
 Example Log(s)
 Couldn't Delete File - Unknown Reason
6/18/2005 11:38:26 PM|ProteinPredictorAtHome|Started upload of h0011A_1_47494_2_1 6/18/2005 11:38:28 PM|ProteinPredictorAtHome|Finished upload of h0011A_1_47494_2_1 6/18/2005 11:38:28 PM|ProteinPredictorAtHome|Throughput 134948 bytes/sec 6/18/2005 11:38:30 PM|ProteinPredictorAtHome|Couldn't delete file projects/predictor1.scripps.edu/h0011A_1_47494_2_1 6/18/2005 11:38:30 PM|ProteinPredictorAtHome|Sending scheduler request to http://predictor.scripps.edu/predictor_cgi/cgi 6/18/2005 11:38:30 PM|ProteinPredictorAtHome|Requesting 0 seconds of work, returning 1 results 6/18/2005 11:38:31 PM|ProteinPredictorAtHome|Scheduler request to http://predictor.scripps.edu/predictor_cgi/cgi succeeded
- The measured speed of transfer, in this case was 134,948 bytes per second. This is a fairly high rate of data transfer.
- Couldn't delete file '(file-name)'
- For one reason or another, the BOINC Daemon was not able to delete the Result Data File after the file was uploaded to the Project's Data Server.
- This message indicates that the BOINC Client Software is making the attempt to connect to the Project's Scheduling Server.
- Within the Scheduler Request Message we are asking for work to the tune of 'x' seconds, and also returning 'count' Results to the Project. In this case, there was no need for additional work, so the time was set to 0 seconds worth of work needed.
- This message tells you that the communication session completed without error.
 Start/Restart Failed - Failed To Open File
This error set was caused by an error in the permissions on a "slot" within the "slots" directory making it inaccessible by the BOINC Daemon.
2005-07-07 22:56:40 [SETI@home] Resuming computation for result 15au03aa.174.33473.548578.42_2 using setiathome version 4.18 2005-07-07 22:56:42 [SETI@home] Failed to open core-to-app prefs file slots/0/init_data.xml 2005-07-07 22:56:42 [SETI@home] ACTIVE_TASKS::restart_tasks(); restart failed: -108 2005-07-07 22:56:42 [SETI@home] Unrecoverable error for result 15au03aa.174.33473.548578.42_2 (Couldn't restart the app for this result: -108) 2005-07-07 22:56:42 [ ] Resuming computation and network activity 2005-07-07 22:56:42 [ ] request_reschedule_cpus: Resuming activities 2005-07-07 22:56:47 [SETI@home] Failed to open core-to-app prefs file slots/0/init_data.xml 2005-07-07 22:56:47 [ ] request_reschedule_cpus: start failed 2005-07-07 22:56:48 [SETI@home] Deferring communication with project for 52 seconds -+-+/\/\/\/\/\ Log Break /\/\/\/\/\-+-+- 2005-07-07 22:56:51 [SETI@home] Computation for result 15au03aa.174.33473.548578.42_2 finished 2005-07-07 22:56:51 [SETI@home] Started upload of 15au03aa.174.33473.548578.42_2_0 2005-07-07 22:57:08 [SETI@home] Finished upload of 15au03aa.174.33473.548578.42_2_0 2005-07-07 22:57:08 [SETI@home] Throughput 38777 bytes/sec 2005-07-07 22:57:12 [SETI@home] Couldn't delete file projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu/15au03aa.174.33473.548578.42_2_0
- Lets get to work, restart a Result.
- We cannot access the file needed to start again.
- We failed the restart.
- Unrecoverable error for result '(result)' (Couldn't restart the app for this result: '(error-code)')
- Causing an unrecoverable error
- As we were in the midst of resuming activity
- Which meant we scheduled the CPUs because we were resuming.
- The task we tried to start could not access a required file (write access).
- Forcing a CPU scheduling event because the start/restart failed.
- Rats! We cannot continue this Result because of the error.
- The measured speed of transfer, in this case was an 38,777 bytes per second.
- Couldn't delete file '(file-name)'
- In this case we also cannot delete the file as we cannot access the directory for write/delete activities.
 Other Related Messages