Quorum of Results
From Unofficial BOINC Wiki
The size of the set is a Project specific value that determines how many successfully processed Results have to be returned before there is an attempt to Validate the Work Unit and credit can be allocated to those Participants with Results that were determined to be Valid.
Things that have to be kept in mind are:
- The Quorum Size number is set by the Project and can be any value from 1 to infinity (Well, ok, not infinity. But the number might be high, say, 10).
- Generally a simple majority of the Results must agree before the Canonical Result can be determined. (This does not apply if the Quorum of Results is less than 3.)
- Generally, only those Participants who return a Validated Result that is a member of the Quorum of Results and will qualify for Granted Credit. It is possible for a Result that is returned after the Quorum of Results has been established can also be awarded Credit, but if the result has been Assimilated and the Result has been purged by the File Deleter then no Credit will be granted.
- To participate in a quorum your Result must have no error conditions.
- Results have to be within the project's established error boundaries to qualify.
- The Project will establish values for the number of allowed errors as part of the Work Unit Record.
Our anticipation for the Quorum of Results on some Projects is that:
- The Climate Prediction project is probably going to be 1 issue and 1 response.
- SETI@Home project will issue the Work Unit 3 or 4 times and require at least 3 matching results.
- Astropulse project will issue the Work Unit 10 times and require 3 matching results.
All of the tests for the limits are based on the count being "greater than" the count maximum. This means, for example, that with max_success_results = 5 (for SETI@Home) only if the 6th Result still fails Validation will the Work Unit error-out.
A matrix of the values would look something like:
Project Application Minimum Quorum
Maximum Error Results
Maximum Total Results
Maximum Successful Results
Climateprediction.net HadAM3P-EU 1 1 2 3 3 HadAM3P-SAF 1 1 2 3 3 HadAM3P-PNW 1 1 2 3 3 HadCM3N 1 2 5 5 2 BURP blender 2 5 10 20 10 Einstein@Home Gravitational Wave S6 GC search 2 2 Binary Radio Pulsar Search 2 2 The Lattice Project LHC@Home sixtrack 2 2 10 20 10 Rosetta@Home rosetta 1 1 1 2 1 SETI@Home setiathome 2 2 5 8 5 AstroPulse 2 2 5 8 5 SIMAP@Home boincsimap 2 2 SZTAKI Desktop Grid search 3 3 3 9 6 World Community Grid FightAIDS@Home 1 1 1 2 Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2 15 19 7 19 Help Conquer Cancer 2 2 7 2 Clean Energy Project 2 1 1